{Here's the Story}
Dear Miss Adalee,
This is the story. The story of the day I left a piece of my heart at the kindergarten building. And you my sweet girl, were that piece. A lot of emotion when into that day. I've thought about this moment a zillion times starting from the day you were born. Some days I looked at it with excitement. Excitement to see who you would be at age five. Excitement to watch you learn and grow. Excitement for a new adventure. But most days I thought about this moment and my heart completely broke.
How could you be five years old and leaving me already? How come that little girl didn't listen to her Mama when she told her to stay little? But the absolute most daunting thought that hung over me was did I prepare you well enough to send you out into that big world?
I couldn't stand the thought of you being away from me all day. I wanted more days to watch you. To know what you were doing and how you were feeling. I wanted more days to be the person you would run to when you were hurt or when you just needed a hug. I wanted more lazy days with you when we weren't confined to a schedule. I wanted more days where I let you skip a nap so we could spend time together, just the two of us.
I couldn't shake the feeling that our life would be forever changed. I couldn't shake it because it was the truth. I'll never have you all to myself again and that thought broke me. I felt completely overwhelmed at the thought of it all, but you were determined my little one. Determined to leave me that day. If it hadn't been for your excitement and readiness to go I don't think I would have been able to leave you there. You were the one comforting me. Because that my sweet girl, is who you are.
You are determined, strong willed, and a leader. These are the very things about you that we have struggled with over the years. Trying to make sure to channel those qualities in the right direction is no easy task, but at end of the day, it's those qualities that are going to make you do great out in that big world.
One minute you were so excited for school to start and then the next you would be telling me you didn't want to go because you would miss me. I think you said that for me. You could tell I wasn't ready to let you go and you wanted me to know that you would miss me, but at the same time that you were ready and to not worry.
Miss Adalee you have such a big heart and I can't wait for you to have the chance to share it with others. I hope in your many, many upcoming years of school that you will be a leader, an example of the good in the world, and a friend to all. I hope you know your mama will always be here for you no matter what!
This is how your first day went. "Mom, is it time to go yet? I don't want to be late. Is it time to go yet? Why can't I ride the bus? I can do it, I really can! Mom, hurry up. We're going to be late!" Yeah, you were so ready. Thanks for being patient and allowing me to take a million pictures of you :-)
Meet your teacher, Mrs. Meyer. She is one of the reasons I am excited for you to start school. She is so sweet and I know you're going to love her! You two blondies will be spending lots of time together and it makes me feel so much better knowing you're in good hands.
We arrived at school, found your classroom, got you all situated at your table, and that was it. You threw me the "I Love You" sign and I walked out the door. I did so good holding it all together, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't shed some tears as I walked back to the van. Your brothers and I are going to miss you. Especially Eli. What's he going to do with out his best friend?! Things are going to be different around here that's for sure.
Love, Mama
p.s. 8:45 am till 4:15 pm is really too long to be away from you! Your brothers and I couldn't wait to see your smiling face come off that bus!




















0 comments:
Post a Comment