{Twenty-four}
It is true. I am aging. Much to the contrary belief around here. Everyone seems to have put me in a time capsule where I remain age 21, the age I was when we moved here. Yes, I was for sure the youngin' out here our first year. And now they are all in denial when I tell them I am turning 24! The joking comments of, "So your finally legal huh?" Or, "When was it you graduated from high school? Six months ago?" Are looking to become a thing of the past. Finally, a little respect around here ;)
Twenty four, nearly a quarter of a century old . . . I am now an official believer that once you hit a certain age you no longer age or change until the day of your birthday. I woke up on my birthday, rolled out of bed, looked in the mirror, and there I was. One year older. As if a new person was staring back at me.
A funny thing happens to your birthday once you have kids. It's no longer an all about me day. It's more of a what fun thing can we do with the kids day? Because I would much rather spend my birthday making my kids happy. So what was on the agenda for my 24th? A day to remind me that there are still many "firsts" ahead of me, even if I am twenty four. And we experienced a few of those firsts at the zoo!
It was the first time since being married that Ryan I weren't together for my birthday. And although it was really sad, I had good company. Being away from family has made me realize how much I miss celebrating special occasions with them. There's just nothing like it.
This was definitely a first. I did not wake up this morning and say, "I bet we are going to see a vulture with a ten foot wing span stare us straight in the eye and pose for several minutes." This picture does not do it justice at all. It really was incredible. Thanks for the Happy Birthday wish Mr. Vulture :)
The next first we experienced was my favorite. I felt like this was a special moment that came from above and was made just for Addy. Just to let her know that her interests are important. I don't know if I have ever talked about Miss Addy's love for Kangaroo's on the blog or not. But if I haven't, then we are missing a huge part of her life. She loves, loves, loves Kangaroo's and is often talking about them to me. She is obsessed with the fact that the mama Kangaroo's have pouches to carry their little Joey's around in and asks me daily when she will have a baby in her "pouch."
We knew there were going to be Wallaby's at the zoo, but we had no idea that a Mama and her sweet little Joey would come nuzzle right up to us. Addy was freaking out. And so was I! How sweet is that?! I am still a little in denial that she was able to experience that. It was a dream come true for her.
I have never been on a carousel on my birthday so that was a first ;)
The entire zoo was one big "Lion King" movie for Addy. We spotted Simba, and Nala, Timon, and Pumbaa. Oh, and we can't forget the Hyena who was having a rabbit for breakfast! Yuck.
Sliding down a giraffe's neck was another definite first for me! The kids had so much fun playing with their cousins. Another reason of why I desperately wish we lived closer!
After much coaxing, and a deal that I had to go down the slide eight times before she would go, my twelve year old niece Maiya went for a slide. Thanks for humoring me! Sometimes it's fun to be one of the kids for a minute, but my bottom was definitely telling me otherwise after the eighth time. It wasn't exactly the smoothest ride!
Well, I think that about sums up the "firsts" for the day. Oh wait, there was one more. I ran into one of my sweet friends from Iowa! They moved to Ohio last year and we have missed them so much. It was such a shock to turn around and see her at the same zoo, in Idaho! What are the chances?
That night my family got together for dinner and dessert. My dinner and dessert hasn't been a "first" in many years. And this year was no exception. I am pretty predictable when it comes to what I want. Yoshida Chicken, Double Baked Potatoes, & Chocolate Eclairs for dessert. Every. Single. Year. A great end to a nearly perfect day. Perfect would have included Ryan :) Happy Birthday to me!












1 comments:
It was SO fun to see you!!!! I wish we could have met up later or had more time to hang out! Darn it! I knew there was a reason to go to the zoo that day ;)
Post a Comment