{The Dinosaur}

From the outside this looks like it would contain something very old. Something that's been through a lot. Maybe something that could use a little extra love. Something that has had a lot of experience doing what it does. It probably has a few querks. Some wear and tear. And it probably contains a few good memories, ones that could make us all laugh if only it could tell us.
The object contained inside this disheveled looking case has become a part of me. It has given me so much satisfaction in life. At times we have a love hate relationship, but no matter how frustrated this object makes me, she knows I'll be back for more. She's my addiction.
Many late nights I have spent with this object. Getting lost in her loud, with an emphasis on LOUD, rhythmic, hum. Eli was so used to her sound in my womb that he would actually stop all movement. It was like his lullaby.
The object contained inside somewhat defines me as a person. It holds the power to dream. The power to create. And the power to inspire.
Have you guessed what's contained inside this case? You might want to sit down for this one. Are you ready?
Introducing . . . my sewing machine, aka the "Dinosaur", the "tractor", and, at times, "the pain in my rear end". Are you shocked? Shocked that the many, many projects I have done over the past couple of years were made using this? She's a beauty isn't she?
Just to give you a little bit of background on her, she was my mother's very first sewing machine 37 years ago. It was given to her by her parents as a wedding gift. She used it for 14 years before replacing it with a new one. My two sisters then shared the sewing machine when they both were living in Cleveland, Ohio. When they went their separate ways my sister Stephanie took it with her and used it for 8 years. And then . . . almost exactly 2 years ago, she became mine. I actually questioned even taking it because I hadn't sewn anything in years and really had no intention of doing any sewing. My mom ended up talking me into it, saying it was always a good thing to have on hand just in case. Boy am I glad she did.
Not too long after getting "The Dinosaur" I spotted one of these.

I knew I must have one, but there was no way I was going to pay 40 bucks. So that's where my love for sewing and creating began. My husband, being the crafty man he is, was kind enough to pull out "The Dinosaur" and teach me the ropes. I haven't looked back since. What a great first memory we have together :)
Now I'm sure you're wondering why I am even doing this post in the first place. Well, my birthday was a couple days ago and with all the sewing I have been doing the past couple years we decided it was time for an upgrade. So this means "Dinosaur" needs a new home. If anyone is wanting to get into sewing or needs a sewing machine she's all yours so please contact me. 
There are definitely things I will miss about you dinosaur, but I am excited for the upgrade! Thanks for the wonderful ride you have taken me on and for all the projects you have helped me create. You were my mom's first sewing machine. You were my first sewing machine. You will always hold a special place in my heart.
5 comments:
Danna I am completely amazed and impressed with your sewing skills! Makes me really wish we lived closer just so you could teach me a thing or two. My in-laws got me a sewing machine for Christmas and I haven't even used it yet. Partly because I really don't know what I'm doing and partly because I'm scared. I have a strong feeling it's going to explode on me or something. I love all your projects though! Beautiful work!
i wish i lived closer because i would totally want it! i'm wanting to learn how to sew and i've been waiting to start because i know i won't want to do anything else.... and that's not really an option with as many kids as i have. i love all of your projects!
Okay Danna, where are your tutorials for these items?! You do great work! I was hooked too, the first time I sewed, I am not that great but I am working on my skills :) Great job Ryan with another great gift, he does good work!
I was given the same machine probably 30 years ago and it has been a good one for me too, but it has needed some fixing so I too decided it was time for a new one also. I must say, my projects haven't been as great as yours but it is fun when you accomplish something by that machine. Looking forward to seeing all your new projects with the new machine. Keep posting.
Post a Comment