Saturday, April 9, 2011

{Confession}

I'm pretty sure I am going to regret this as soon as I post it, but it is what it is. And it is a part of me. So here we go! It is true, I still sleep with a "blankie." And it's not just any blankie. You might want to sit down for this part. Here we go . . . it's the same blankie I have slept with since I was two years old. Wow, that sounds far worse than I imagined it would.



Before you write me off and pretend I no longer exist let me explain myself. I absolutely hate covers. I always have and I always will. I feel trapped, claustrophobic, and hot in them. So that's where the blanket comes into play. I can move about freely and toss it off when I feel like it and I love it. I am a blanket girl, not a covers girl. I knew Ryan was the man of my dreams when I found out he preferred to sleep with a blanket rather than covers. You can imagine my disappointment when we got married and he told me he actually liked sleeping with covers. He only preferred to sleep with a blanket because then he could sleep on top of his covers and not have to make his bed in the morning. Such a guy!

Just a little history behind this blanket I sleep with. It was made by my grandmother and it actually has a twin. Both were given to my older sisters when they were younger, which makes this blanket about 30 years old. When my mom came out to visit I asked her how I even ended up with it. She told me I had a different "blankie" and she was trying to wean me off of it so she gave me this one to use and then I just attached myself to that one instead. I guess I have always been a blanket girl.

Just to get the image out of your head, that I know is floating around, of me sleeping with a "blankie" that measure 12 inches by 12 inches, I assure you it is a big blanket and completely covers me even at the age of 22 :) This is probably why I have kept it around so long. Trust me, this is a long standing joke in my family and they love to make fun of me for it. It still covered me up perfectly though so I saw no need for a new one.

Well, I decided it was time to give it up and prove to everyone that I didn't have to sleep with that specific blanket. I just like sleeping with a blanket. Although, I did like that it was soft and worn out. So . . . I had the quilt expert (my mother) help me make a new one.

Fabric speaks to me. And these specific fabrics SCREAMED at me to make myself a new blanket out of them. Not only do they match my bedroom perfectly, but they are just out right adorable together and are completely ME.

So without further adieu I introduce to you my new BLANKET.



I'm not going to lie, thoughts of digging my old one out of the closet crossed my mind the first night I slept with it. I was missing the way the old worn out blanket wrapped itself around me and had that ragged soft feel to it. The new blanket was a bit stiff and a little rough, but after a couple weeks it is starting to loosen up a bit :) Unfortunately I will be 52 years old by the time I get it to the condition of my old one, but I am starting to like it. Who am I kidding? I actually LOVE it. I now sleep in style instead of with adolescent dolls and frills ;)

This blanket really was a part of me for so long, but it is definitely time! Good-bye blankie of mine. You were good to me.

Hopefully I will still have friends after this confession ;)

5 comments:

Megan April 10, 2011 at 8:04 AM  

This post makes me smile. My son has a stuffed animal that he is inseparable from. The poor thing is falling to pieces. I've had to sew him up a few times. But he loves him so much. My husband wonders when we will have to "wean" him from his beloved toy. I think... NEVER. I still have my stuffed Grimlin from when I was 1 year old. I will never get rid of him. Although, I don't sleep with him he will always be a part of me, even if he is hiding in my closet. I don't think we ever have to "wean" ourselves from our favorite things.
But your new "blankie" is beautiful! I also hate covers.

Ashley Webb April 10, 2011 at 2:12 PM  

I'll still be your friend!
So, our grandmothers must have used the same pattern or something, because I had a blanked JUST like that one growing up - how weird! I love the new one though. Well done (of course!)

JennaDredge April 10, 2011 at 6:17 PM  

So cute :) I love the new blanket.

Hansen's Fantastic Five! April 10, 2011 at 8:54 PM  

Oh Danna lou...how I love your confessions!! This was something I did NOT know about you! I still have my blankie too but its tucked away in a blanket bag and i love to get it out every now and then to feel it. Its like you said..its worn out and oh so soft and i love it! Love your new one though..you are always good at finding cute matching fabric!!! So fun so fun!

Nicole April 11, 2011 at 7:32 AM  

I love the new blanket, it's so cute! :)

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP